This is probably less “Money Monday” than it is “Crafty Monday,” as this is less about saving money as it is me decorating the bucket I cleaned last week for the Sealed Pot Challenge.
The “challenge” (which is less of a challenge as it is just a fun way to put some money aside for next year’s Xmas gifts, a vacation, anything) starts December 4th and will end with the dramatic opening of our pots December 4th, 2013. So, a year of loose change and crumpled bills found in pockets or at the bottom of dusty wallets, and then we get to open it up and see what we managed to save.
On Friday, I put my “pot” together. I used a 5-galloon bucket we found in the barn and cleaned up, a set of old curtains that were hanging over the window of the door to the sun room (which I replaced with a different set from elsewhere in the house), some scissors, some hot glue, a pencil, a ruler, and a black Sharpie marker. Oh, and a sweater I also found in the barn and washed (confession: it was white, but then I washed it with another reddish sweater I found with it…it’s okay, I hadn’t planned on wearing either, but the white one is now, as you will see, pink).
First, I cut all the ruffles off the curtains, and also the hems. Then I measured and cut the coverage for the sides of the pot.
I glued it down around the top of the bucket, under the rim, and then gathered and glued it under the bottom.
It didn’t reach all the way around the bucket, so I cut a piece to fit what was left to cover, glued seams onto the piece (to avoid fraying), and then applied it to the bucket like the last piece.
I then glued one strip of ruffle around the bottom section of the rim.
That done, I glued a strip of the curtain’s hem around the top section of the rim, to cover any gap between the lid’s ruffle and the topmost ruffle of the bucket.
I then traced around the bottom of the lid onto the material and cut out the circle. I glued it to the top of the lid, using dots of glue, one in the center, about eight around the edge of the lid.
I then turned the lid over, bottom side up, and cut a + in the material through the center of the hole.
I glued each corner down to the underside of the lid.
I thought about form-fitting it, but I like this ‘drum’ look better.
Then another strip of ruffle glued around the edge of the lid.
The last of the ruffle went around the middle section of the bucket rim. I literary just had enough.
Cut a little piece of material, hemmed it with glue, and…
…wrapped the handle.
I then penciled on a basic dollar sign, and went over it/embellished it with a black Sharpie marker. It’s a little more metal now. \m/
I bunched up the now-pink sweater into the bottom of the bucket so the sound of coins plunking down into it won’t drive us crazy over the next year.
I then pushed the lid down to secure it, closing it firmly, and it’s done. Now, it sits in a corner in the bedroom.
The challenge doesn’t start until tomorrow, but we couldn’t resist plopping a couple of quarters in.
In the spirit of thrift and the spirit of the challenge, I spent not a single dime on this. And now we have a nifty bucket in which to save, save, save. We’re dedicating this year’s Sealed Pot to a future trip to Samoa. That’s where we decided we wanted to go. Someplace tropical, someplace awesome, and given our love for RLS, this seemed appropriate. Vailima, here we come. There’s still 24 hours for you to find/create your Sealed Pot and join the challenge!
And now, some completely unrelated metal:
Venom – Nightmare